Friday 24 February 2012

The One-Link Lowdown on...Peter Alan Orchard


My guest today, Peter Alan Orchard, is a writer whose stories are set in the ancient medieval worlds. So far his publications include a historical mystery, a children's adventure and a collection of historical short stories. His latest book, The Painter of Lemnos, is set in the Bronze age in the time of Agamemnon. Welcome, Peter!

If you could retrieve one thing from your childhood, what would it be?

The bike I used to ride down on the green near my house. I was probably a real nuisance then, but I’d be a lot fitter now if I still rode one.

What would be your perfect day?

A walk in the country, a fine sunny day, a picnic overlooking the sea – and a large cheque in the post when I get home. I can dream.

I think many of us would call that perfect! Peter, tell me what’s on your bedside table.

An alarm clock (never set) and a windup Freeplay radio – it’s environmentally friendly and I don’t have to plug it in.

What’s your favourite piece of music?

I don’t really have one, but my shelves are groaning with classical CDs of all kinds. Currently I’m exploring more Schubert and the symphonies of George Lloyd, one of those English composers who deserve to be much better known. They can bury me to Vaughan Williams’ ‘Lark Ascending’, but not just yet.

That's one of my favourite pieces too - so evocative of a perfect English summer's day. Now to matters gastronomic! What's your favourite sandwich, and where in the world is the best place to eat it?

Pastrami salad, with everything on it, perhaps eaten in St. Mark’s Square in Venice. Sun, great architecture and pigeons to throw the crumbs to – what’s not to like?

My tummy's rumbling! Peter, what talent or skill would you love to have that you don’t have now?

Top class piano playing. Like many amateurs, I’d like to swap self-delusion for achievement.

What drives you seriously nuts?

Almost anything on the 24-hour news channels.

Which animal do you think you’re most like, and why?

Possibly a squirrel, because I tend to hoard. I resist the impulse to shin up trees at the sight of strangers, though.

You're given a time travel machine - where would you go, and why?

Ancient Greece, Renaissance Florence, Roman Bath, you name it. Just give me a first-aid kit and a packed lunch.

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

I’d be younger and richer. Sorry, that’s two.

Ah, it may be two, but I'll give you that as one! Friends, you can follow Peter's One-Link here to his website and blog to find out much more about his work.

Thanks so much for being my guest today, Peter. Good luck with The Painter of Lemnos and all your future projects.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting and fun interview, Jane and Peter!

    Love the cover for 'Painter of Lemnos' very atmospheric. Have you ever been to Greece?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes to you, too, Jane and thanks for hosting me today. Lindsay, yes, I've been there quite a few times over the years. The cover of 'Painter' is based on a photograph I took on one of the islands. Peter

    ReplyDelete